The Songs of Les Reed

paultastic
I've just listened to some tracks from the 'The Songs of Les Reed' album. It's always been one of my favourite albums. It just works. Connie's voice, the songs, the production. I'm interested to know a) anyone's favourite tracks on the album and b) if there were any songs recorded that didn't make it on to the album…

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

garryabhb
oooh! fodder for the discussion mill here on the site! I'll bite! ...I love that LP! one of my Connie top ten favorites...if I didn't belong to Citadel Record Club (which was a slightly discounted branch of the Capitol Record Club...same monthly magazine offering same selections as Capitol with like 10% discounted off the price) I wouldn't  had known it even existed. I never saw it in a retail store when it was new...I also got My Heart Cries For You and Never on Sunday as late as 1972 from them....the Les Reed LP was a family favorite....2 of my older brothers asked me to order copies after hearing mine.  I enjoy the entire LP from start to finish. Delilah was dramatic and breathtaking, and the very warm feeling Kiss Me Goodbye, Three Good Reasons, What's Wrong With My World and Lifetime of Love were my favorites..........Mr. Love became a favorite after getting the Souvenirs box set...Les Bicyclettes was never a fav song of mine by anyone....just didn't like the song. But it grew on me a bit- enough not to hate it over the years. I would have loved to hear Connie sing more of Englebert's other songs like When There's No You, Winter World of Love,  Santa Lija, Another Time Another Place and The Way it Used to Be.

I always wished for another Country LP with some more standards..stuff like Release Me, Am I That Easy to Forget?, There Goes My Everything, Don't Worry, It's Just A Matter of Time, Take These Chains From My Heart, Guilty, Am I Losing You?  (Come to think of it, and entire Jim Reeves LP including a version of He'll Have to Go that sticks more to the original tempo/arrangement) For The Good Times,.....Misty Blue would have made my list, but we finally got that one on the Malaco LP.

There is a song called Don't Say You Don't Remember by Beverly Bremers from 1972(?) that is very sentimental / looking back style song I think very much epitomizes Connie's style. (It was a mid sized pop AM radio hit) I sent along a tape of this song to Connie in the mid 80's....would have made a great song to add before the hits medley portion of the show. You can find Bev's original version on youtube.

Thanks for this thread....I still haven't done Facebook so this site is still my Connie lifeline.

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

paultastic
The discussion continues

I first heard the songs on this album from a cassette (yikes) called Connie Francis (guess the title made it clear what you were getting even if it was a ittle un-imaginitive!) that also had the songs from the Bacharach & David album. The cassette player chewed up the tape after years of playing it. Agree Kiss Me Goodbye and Three Good Reasons, What's Wrong with My World are great as it a Lifetime of Love. I also like Don't Say A Word.

Another country LP would have been great. Country Music Connie Style is possibly the LP i would choose if someone forced me to pick a favourite. Jealous Heart and My Heart Cries For You (Lonely Again esp) are favourites too. The Wedding Cake has some great tracks as well. Those last few years at MGM produced some great material (e.g Milk & Honey, I Don't Wanna Play House)

I'm gonna go on youtube and listen to the songs you've mentioned.

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

jeansouth
Administrator
I fully agree that this LP is among the best from Connie.

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

Good Morning,I also think the Songs of Les Reed are so well done by Connie,I will have to disagree tho I really liked  Les Bicyclettes De Belsize.I also agree that more Country songs by Connie would have amazing.There are so many songs Connie would have just nailed them!!

I also checked out the song by Beverly Bremers,"Don`t Say You Don`t Remember" it is a good song.I personally feel Connie can do a great performance on many other artists songs.She is so versatile.
Thanks Pat

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

I used to see the Vinyl edition of the Cassette you mentioned all the time in the stores that carried imports in Greenwich Village....it had a great photo of Connie with long brown hair and I believe a amber colored background. It was a legitimate Polydor release I believe in the UK...also, there was 2 LP Greatest Hits LP with a blue fleck cover using the photo from the MGM inner sleeve advertising the rouster of artists LPS.
Jealous Heart is my pet CF LP....the title song may be my all time favorite CF single, and I love every single cut on that LP. Every time I hear the original "Once A Day" by Connie Smith, I feel like she lobbed something off, because I am used to Connie singing the chorus thru once first before the first verse.

My Heart Cries For You is another LP I love every song on....I am a huge Jim Reeves fan, and wondered if
Connie recorded a full version of Four Walls??? There is a verse missing. (Sometimes I ask why I'm waiting, but my walls have nothing to say etc)

Country Music Connie Style was a much later purchase for me. I was very excited about getting it because He'll Have to Go was one of my top 10 fav. country songs....unfortunately, I think its my least favorite track on the LP. I don't like Connie's arrangement. Very successful LP chart wise though. I think Billboard topped it at #22....Perhaps Connie's LPS would have done better if Soundscan were available back then.

The first C&W LP "Golden Hits" was a total disappointment for me....(I remember I finally found that one on St. Patricks day 1975....sealed 2nd cover, along with Latino Series Spanish Favorites..my first copy of that as well) I knew every song on C&WGH, but hated the arrangements and her voice seemed to be pulled back and too controlled in the mixes....C&WGH remains the one LP I have never owned in the original jacket. Folk Song Favorites was a great LP too. One of my earliest and still a favorite. I like every song on that one too.

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

paultastic
yes great photo - i think it was the first picture of her I ever saw (was born in 75) I bought the 2 LP greatest hits too years ago from Tower Records on a trip to London in the late 80s.  I agree with you on C&W hits - i prefer the later country albums. I've always wondered if that's because it wasn't recorded in Nashville where as Country Music Connie Style was). I love a lot of the tracks on Jealous Heart too - Do I, So Long, Goodbye and of course Jealous Heart (dual vocal) are great. My Heart Cries for You - my favourites would have to be Legend in my Time and How's the World Treating You (she really goes for it on the latter,with a superb mix of single and dual tracked vocals….

Re: The Songs of Les Reed

connik64
Garry--

I have to agree with Pat James about the song "Les Bicylettes De Belsize"  this is also one of my favorites
on an album I have by Robert Goulet...I have not heard the version by Connie but sure she does a fantastic job with it...