The Rock 'N Roll "Hall of Shame"

12

The Rock 'N Roll "Hall of Shame"

cfwebmaster
Rock 'n Roll Million Seller, Connie Francis, snubbed by R&R Hall of Fame!!
“In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.”  ~ Margaret Thatcher

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

jeansouth
Administrator
This is such a miscarriage.  Some of the inductees of late
have nothing to do with rock & roll.  Connie was an original
in the genre and most certainly should have been added
long ago.

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

studiogirl
Connie should most definitely be one of the great stars in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - she is the Queen of Rock 'n Roll and went way beyond them with all her incredible music.  No one in that R&R Hall of Fame can compare to Connie - she is awesome and her music superb.

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Hi Connie,This has bugged me for so long now that you have been ignored by the Hall maybe even more than yourself lol.But for the 1st Lady of R&R to be omitted is more than shameful, its downright robbery.So many artists are in there where you belong, and to me its just the good old boys club they induct who they want.I still hope they will come to their senses and do the right thing on your behalf.Thanks Pat

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Alie
Connie belongs in this Hall, but they are YEARS AND YEARS to late…that’s my opinion.
Alie

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Bren
Connie should have been the first female inducted as she was the first 'Lady' of rock-n-roll.

Re: The Rock 'N Roll "Hall of Shame"

DebbieDowner
Forget the Rock `N Roll Hall of Fame...a far greater atrocity is taking place!!!

Since 2008, there has been a New Jersey Hall of Fame. Several entertainers have been inducted. As one might suspect...F. Sinatra, Bon Jovi, Springsteen, etc. I have no problem with their inductions.

However, why have singers such as Sarah Vaughan, Tony Bennett, Queen Latifah, and Frankie Valli all been inducted.....while Connie Francis has NOT????

How on Earth did THIS ever happen?!?

Re: The Rock 'N Roll "Hall of Shame"

Good point brought up here, Debbie.

Re: The Rock 'N Roll "Hall of Shame"

paulette
it is their biggest loss..biggest!!!

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Shrinksjp
Given that Connie had the first rock and roll million seller by a female artist, she hould have walked in with the initial group.  In fact, the djs in Philly expected that.  The NJ Hall of Fame should have inducted Connie with the initial group, but I feel that she will sonn be inducted in that Hall.

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

A great article from The Music Collectors Magazine Goldmine, April 7, 2011

"I’ve had the same best friend since first grade. Smartest person I’ve ever known. Hippest person I’ve ever known. And considering how long he’s put up with me, the most patient person I’ve ever known.

And almost every time I see him, which is much too infrequent these days, the first thing he says is, “I can’t believe Connie Francis is not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame"

http://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/why-isnt-connie-francis-in-the-rock-roll-hall-of-fame

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

lonniebeale
when is somebody going to do something about getting Connie into the R/Roll hall of fame. I refuse to aknowledge that organization until she and the Golden boys get in. There are people in hall of fame who I have never heard of with one hit yet Connie cannot get in. Somebody start something!

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Hi Lonnie,Welcome to Connie`s website I just wanted to let you know that many have written and tried to get a positive result to help Connie.She belongs more than many others currently inducted.We have tried write in campaigns.I also refuse to acknowledge the Hall until the Best Female Singer is acknowledged with an induction.There have been stories that many artists have bought their way into the Hall with Memorabilia etc and I believe that is beneath Connie and her fans,she belongs on her merits alone.
Thanks Pat

Letter to Rock and Roll Hall of SHAME

sisterluke
Below is a copy of the letter I sent to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame requesting the induction of Connie Francis:

Michael J. Rossillio, Jr.
434 Talon Drive
Mountville, PA  17554

May 17, 2014

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10104

Dear Sir or Madam:

I recently completed a college course, “Popular Arts in America: Rock and Roll Music in the 1950s,” that featured a section on the “founding fathers” and I took notice of a glaring omission.  One of rock and roll’s pioneers was missing from the all male lineup (*1*).  I felt compelled to write to the author of the textbook to point out the error and requested that he consider adding one more name to the list.  While I was researching for information about the recording artist in question, I stumbled upon the fact that she has not been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Connie Francis’ contribution to rock and roll is just as important as her male contemporaries, including artists such as Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Bobby Darin.  Her Billboard pop chart success surpassed fourteen of the sixteen “founding fathers,” (*2*) with a total of fourteen top ten singles.  In 1957, Connie Francis’ first hit record, “Who’s Sorry Now?” climbed up to number four on the Billboard Top 100  pop singles chart.  She would continue with several more top ten hits in the 1950s, including: “My Happiness (#2, 1958),” “Lipstick on Your Collar (#5, 1959),” and “Among My Souvenirs (#7, 1959).”  Her chart success continued into the early 60s with songs like “Mama (#8, 1960),” and five consecutive Billboard top ten hits: “My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own (#1, 1960),” “Many Tears Ago (#7, 1960),” “Where the Boys Are (#4, 1961),” “Breakin’ in a Brand New Broken Heart (#7, 1961),” and “Together (#6, 1961).”  An additional four more top ten hits would occur in the early 60s, including “When the Boy in Your Arms (Is the Boy in Your Heart) (#10, 1961),” “Don’t Break the Heart That Loves You (#1, 1962),” “Second Hand Love (#7, 1962),” and “V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N (#9, 1962).”

While searching for the inductees who are current members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame I discovered that of the 96 solo performers, only 15 are female.  They are, in alphabetical order:

LaVern Baker
Ruth Brown
Aretha Franklin
Etta James
Janis Joplin
Brenda Lee
Darlene Love
Madonna
Joni Mitchell
Laura Nyro
Bonnie Raitt
Linda Ronstadt
Patti Smith
Dusty Springfield
Donna Summer

From 1957 to 1962, a period of time in which some music historians believe that rock and roll was at its best, Connie Francis amassed fourteen Billboard top ten singles.  With the exception of Brenda Lee, who had ten top ten songs in the same time period, no other solo female Hall Of Fame performer has had the same distinction as Francis.

LaVern Baker, Ruth Brown, and Etta James had numerous top ten records on the Billboard rhythm and blues chart.  Only Baker had a top ten single on the Hot 100 with “I Cried a Tear,” in 1958.  Darlene Love had two top ten pop songs in 1962, receiving credit as the lead vocalist on both the Crystals’ “He’s a Rebel,” and Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans’ “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.”  Dusty Springfield, who had eleven top ten singles in her native country of England, only had four of them reach the top ten in the United States, the first of which occurred in 1964.  Aretha Franklin’s first top ten record didn’t happen until 1967.  In 1971, Janis Joplin had her only top ten song, “Me and My Bobby McGee.”  Joni Mitchell’s two top ten singles occurred between 1972 and 1973.  Linda Ronstadt and Donna Summer had their first top ten hits in 1975.  Madonna’s first top ten was in 1984.  In 1991, Bonnie Raitt had her only top ten single with “Something to Talk About.”  Neither Laura Nyro nor Patti Smith ever had a top ten record.

Chart success is only one way of measuring the impact that Connie Francis’ contribution had on rock and roll.  She set the stage in the 1950s for the female vocalists who would follow her in the 1960s, such as Lesley Gore and Little Peggy March, and girl groups like The Angels and The Shangri-Las.  She was also one of the first artists to record in several different languages including Italian, Yiddish, and German and would find chart success in various countries around the world.  She was voted the Best Female Vocalist by American Bandstand viewers for four consecutive years from 1958 through 1962.

I am in no way implying that the female performers in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are not deserving of their inclusion.  Each has earned her place in the rock and roll puzzle.  I am suggesting, however that an equally important piece of that puzzle is missing.  Any rock and roll publication or organization would be remiss if it did not include the impact that Connie Francis had in the history of rock and roll.

On behalf of her fans around the world, I am requesting that Connie Francis be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – an inclusion that is much deserved and long overdue.

If there is anything I can do to help make this proposal a reality, please do not hesitate to contact me by telephone at (717) 522-1041 or via post at the address listed above.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Rossillio, Jr.

(*1*)  The sixteen "founding fathers" listed were: Chuck Berry, James Brown, Jerry Butler, Ray Charles, The Coasters, Sam Cooke, Bobby Darin, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Ricky Nelson, Lloyd Price, and Jackie Wilson.

(*2*)  Ricky Nelson had nineteen top ten singles and The Everly Brothers had fifteen.

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Thank You Michael, for your impact-full letter I sure hope its given the respect it deserves and to Connie who belongs in the the Hall of Fame.She has accomplished so much in her career and needs to be recognized.

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

I have always felt that Connie should have been the first female inductee. The argument seems to be that her crossover ethnic LP & adult oriented single successes (i.e. MAMA) pushed her far outside the idiom, which is unfair because many of the singers mentioned worked in a variety of ways and not every release they had a hit with was a upbeat-current rock style number either...  Certainly, if you eliminated the remakes she would qualify with Stupid Cupid, Fallin' & Frankie (which aren't mentioned)/Lipstick alone in the 50's period....and Dreamboat remains a cult favorite among Doo-wop fanatics. The general public rock audiences may not be familiar with releases that weren't top ten car radio hits , so the lower top 40 / girl group sounding material (as well as AC chart hits) us folks who closely followed her career are familiar with likely remain unknown. I believe that's why these post '62 releases were often more popular over sea's....it's been said the twist died a very slow death in Europe and Asia......it would have been nice to have Connie among the first inductees. If it happened now, it would be nice and well deserved, but not be remembered as one of her greatest triumphs. Review that list, or the grouped list of any entertainers and Connie stands alone in the number of worldwide hits, number of releases in a 12 year recording span, & records sold.....plus, even after a period of successes...did any of the other singers get to basically write and manage their own recording contracts???  Top money makers at the time got perks at all labels, but only an exceptional money maker who could be counted on for large sales could wrangle that......I can't wait for the new book and the upcoming CD releases....

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Kevin
Hi All:

You are so right.  Elvis did many songs that can't be considered rock.  Two that come to mind are:"It's now or Never and "Are you Lonesome Tonight.  The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby", which I don't consider Rock and Roll and "Hey Jude", and I'm sure there a lot more in their repertoire.   Brenda Lee did a lot of country and she even did some of her hits in German and so on and so on.  It's disgusting that Connie has not been inducted.  It really Ps me off.  I'd like to get that inductee committee and shake some sense into them.

Kevin

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

garryabhb
Hi Kevin...we had late lunch together after the "Souvenirs" CD signing at Footlight records years ago. Glad to see you are using the forum as well....Regards, Garry G

Re: THE ROCK 'N ROLL "HALL OF SHAME"

Kevin
Hi Garry.

I remember that.  You even gave me some tapes of Connie's music.  So nice to see you on the forum too!!!  I'm living in Fort Lauderdale, Florida...Take care, Kevin!!!!

Re: Letter to Rock and Roll Hall of SHAME

sisterluke
It has been almost two months since I wrote this letter to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I have not received a response.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought they would at least acknowledge receiving the letter....not very professional.

Mike
12