Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

garryabhb
I thought it would be interesting to hear from some folks on what they consider to be their most exciting Connie finds on vinyl record....Before the days of online auctions in the days of brick and mortar record stores, I am sure someone other than myself found a previously issued non current LP/45 that normally wasn't stocked in your frequently visited shop (not a pricey used/OOP collectors store)...one day you go in and search, and Viola! ...there is a brand new sealed copy of a item you waited a long time to find and needed to add to your collection... I was born in '59,  and I was finally able to save my own money and buy my own LPS from 1972 onward....Although my older siblings gifted me many of the current or big seller / most often stocked  LPS in my childhood, I missed the original release issues of mostly everything by years, and  I've had lots of these experiences....of course, interesting auction and collectors store finds are welcome as well.....
For years I searched for a copy of Connie's Greatest Hits....I got the LP for Christmas when I was 5 in 1964...My cousin once told me he had the Lp with a different cover....(naturally, it was inconceivable to a 6 year old the same record could be issued with 2 different covers....I didn't see the original Top Hat issue 'til I was 15) Of course I played that LP to death on my child model record player and in about 2 years it was trashed....I ordered the LP  furnishing the catalogue number from 2 different local shops, and I would call on the appointed day to see if it came in, and they would tell me yes...I would run down very happy and excited only to find out that the LP the distributor sent them was the 1963 Yellow cover " VB of".....In 1972 I cut school and took a trip to downtown Manhattan, and visited about 6 record shops, and I found one on Chambers St. that not only had the one I was looking for, but an extensive stock of many other LPS that weren't in print or easy to find at the time. (they even had the Lion issue Childrens LP...but my money was tight and I had priority picks) I made steady pilgrimages until that store closed in 1976....to this day, the only US issue LP I have never owned is C&W Golden Hits in the '59 issue cover.
I found the later issue cover in the store mentioned above.

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Nice topic, Garry.

I remember going to a record show in New Jersey with another Connie fan and we both spotted an LP called "Connie Italiano" and we both fought for it....who was going to get it?  My friend, who drove me to the  record show, threatened he would leave me there with no transportation home if he didn't get it.  I didn't care if he did, and we went back and forth with it, but I won!!!  Yes, he did take me home and yes, we are still friends to this day.

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

garryabhb
That one I happened to find in a shop on 43rd St. for $2.99! and they had several copies. I was sorry I didn't get them all. That was a true find.....not only was it a nice, bulky 40 song collection, there were (up to that point) several unreleased titles ...I love the version of Munesterio E'  Santa Chiarra that is used there...(on the other hand I wish I never heard Bella) That Lp is very sought after and always a quick on line auction sale....the same shop had several German issue LPS, and I snatched Stargala 2 LP set the same day....everything on that other than the cuts on the US German LP was new to me. I did also buy the 2 LP Italian set from TV, and hope to see The Godfather Theme and Days of Wine and Roses included in the upcoming At The Movies CD.

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Yes, you definitely should have snatched up a few copies!

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Anyone on Connie's production team who is under the impression that I am "fishing" for a track listing for these soon to be offered CDs wouldn't be mistaken....Smile

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Fran....I just thought about asking if you know something...the Connie Italiano LP was offered on Suffolk Marketing (I believe) and Tele House labels....my copy had red labels with black print, and I have seen others with a gold or tan label...was one meant for in store sales and the other TV marketing? Thanks

Re: Most Exciting (to you) Vinyl Connie Find

Garry, I am sorry, but I don't remember.