Label Colors / USA

12

Label Colors / USA

garryabhb
Just a few years ago, I found a copy of 45RPM Among My Souvenirs on the yellow MGM label. I had up to that point only seen Black label copies, and assumed this was the first black label only copy release. I seem to remember once also seeing You're Gonna Miss Me on a black label...I guess it depended on when a particular pressing plant ran out of the yellow labels....also, on LP I know the first 3 LPS were originally issued with Yellow labels, but the covers show the old lion in a circle MGM insignia up to and including Spanish Favorites....does anyone know for sure which LP's were issued with the Yellow label?
(this thread concerns only USA copies...) I am aware that GB, Canada, and most of Europe used the yellow label well into the 60's.....It seems the Italian and German plants followed the USA with Black labels from 1960 onward for 45's and LPS....I have seen 78's offered on ebay for recordings issued as late as 1963 (Tonights My Night, I'm Gonna Be Warm This Winter) usually always from India and Brazil.....Also,
I have had Addio Mi Amore 45 on both black and blue/gold labels....I believe My Heart Cries For You was the last LP issued with the black label...Were all the LPS featured on the rear of the Wedding Cake liner returned to print when that LP was released? I was under the impression that only the yellow 15 hits, Italian favorites and More Greatest Hits remained in print around 1970...I have seen very few of those other LPS pictured with the blue/gold label (Italian, MG Hits, Jewish, Modern Italian Hits, Never on Sunday (Capitol Record Club) and VB of....and, I had Hank Jr LP with blue and gold label .
Also, the 45 issue of Heartaches appears in some discographies and is eliminated in others...was this a brief release withdrawn quickly?....When I was fanatical about collecting in the late 70's early 80's I noticed the 2 singles that were hardest to find were Am I Blue and Gone Like the Wind....as far as LPS
go, it seemed no shops had the original C&W Golden Hits cover, and Hawaii Connie, Wedding Cake and Les Reed LPS rarely appeared. there were a few pricey shops in Greenwich Village and Colony that were a good bet, but the greatest quality and fairest prices seemed to always be Footlight on 3rd Avenue and later on 12th St.....every once in awhile Dayton's on B'way would weed out their stock room and sell nice enough Mono copies for $3.99...oh the good olde days!

Re: Label Colors / USA

God bless you with your detail.  Waaayyy over my head, that's fore sure!

Re: Label Colors / USA

garryabhb
Hi Fran...II just made some observations throughout the years of collecting...I am not as fanatical as I was in younger times. Some very interesting stuff pops up on ebay from time to time....I even once saw a Claus Orgerman 45 of the instrumental tracks from Looking For Love! Would have loved to get that for the jukebox in the bar I was working in in 1980!
Do we have any news on what's going on as far as the proposed CD's to be issued here?
They seem to have disappeared from the page they were on, and news from the front seems to be
getting lean and sparse....Thanks! G

Re: Label Colors / USA

Well well well! a reply to my own post! Tonight as I was searching ebay, I saw an issue of "Connie's Greatest Hits" with the first (pink top hat) cover and yellow label....I figured this must be a Canadian issue, but the shipping was low, and it was a USA seller.....so I clicked and enlarged the photo and sure enough on the yellow label.....there it was printed MADE IN THE USA!...I quickly scanned the sellers other items figuring perhaps he scooped up all five Dec 1959 releases and there could be more in his collection from the same pressing plant....as stated in my earlier post, in my life's 56 years I have only seen the first 3 lps issued with the yellow label...this was an amazing sighting for me! I was hoping some of the earliest fans would respond with their recollections when I first posted.....another first...tonight there was also a Philippines pressed black label 45 I Can't Stop Loving You / Tammy....I would love to see a complete discography from both India and the Philippines....many interesting releases seemed to be issued in those 2 particular territories
.....and I still cringe when I see the photo sleeve for Everybody IS Somebody's Fool....how did that slip by the art department / quality control?...and why in heavens name was the same photo sleeve used for 4 different single releases? (Mama, Everybody's, Many Tears Ago, Together)

Re: Label Colors / USA

Terry Murtaugh
I'm amazed by the amount of detail you remember or have researched...especially on the single releases.

I laughed out loud on this comment:  "why in heavens name was the same photo sleeve used for 4 different single releases? (Mama, Everybody's, Many Tears Ago, Together)"  Good question!

The best single record sleeves in my collections are "Where the Boys Are", (movie scene) "He's my Dreamboat,"  (same pic as Greatest Hits Vol II album) and "Don't Break the Heart" (the cheerleader pose, which I believe is Connie's favorite; she picked a similar pose for the cover of her "Souvenirs" album).

Keep sharing!  Terry

Re: Label Colors / USA

garryabhb
Thanks for replying! I loved the More Greatest Hits cover.....very popular LP! I saw that and Italian Favorites in the homes of many folks who weren't what you would call die hard fans....They were 2 very large sellers in the LP market....I've seen other photos from that MGH session with less cropping...I believe a German pic sleeve....I initially thought it was a peacock blue feather boa of some sort, but I now see it is actually a sweater. Jewish Fav, and the Exciting and WSN 2nd covers are probably my favorites. Out of the single sleeves, I think It's A Different World had the most unique photo...very 1966! I did manage to snag the yellow label LP mentioned....I stopped collecting and started trimming years ago, but this I just HAD to have.
I would also most likely have to buy anything from the USA with the yellow label after the first 3 LPS. I have WSN? with the yellow label, and the following 2 just aren't favorites of mine and are common, so they have no attraction....but any of the remaining 1959 LPs I would spring for ( $ depending....)

Re: Label Colors / USA

Terry Murtaugh
Thanks for your latest msg.  My first three CF albums were the original yellow label & covers of WSN, The Exciting  and My Thanks to You.  They were wall art in my room on an Iowa farm until I graduated from HS in 1964. (51 years ago!) This likely explains the sentimental attachment to those covers.

My computer room now has two framed CF album covers:  the original Exciting and CF at the Copa.  The Copa cover reminds me of her appearances on the Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark shows.

Different subject you and other CF fans may find interesting:  Forbes magazine had a recent article on the resurgence of vinyl sales--up 51% in 2014.  I've enjoyed the vinyl displays in Urban Outfitters and Barnes and Noble among others in the past year.   The increased sales is mostly in the age 13 to 25.   Go figure!  Rationale seems to be this age group is so used to downloading their music digitally, they enjoy the new experience of holding an album in their hands, looking at the art work and putting the vinyl on a turntable.  Some report they don't even own a turntable...they just like owning something tangible related to music.   Makes sense to me and I suspect to all vinyl album collectors.

BTW, the last vinyl record pressing machine at Rainbo records was produced in 1977.  They are working six days a week to keep up with demand and are months behind for new pressings.  Looks like a good business opportunity for someone to build new record pressing machines.

Re: Label Colors / USA

Terry, thanks for that info on the resurgence of vinyl records.  That is very interesting.

Re: Label Colors / USA

Vinyl is making quite a comeback among the younger generation and audiophiles alike. Many sites sell
high quality and often pricey vinyl issues of classic LPS....Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Bob Dylan seem to be leading the trend.
No doubt this filters down to a niche audience for collecting all types of vinyl. There is a 2 LP Connie hits
vinyl offered at Collectors Choice I believe.....Current at the time vinyl actually started to sound very good and seemed to be more resilient in the 80's just before the CD craze started.
It doesn't surprise me when I hear young people say they invade family members record collections and enjoy Connie's upbeat tracks....there was a very young girl (17 +/-) ) working as a supermarket cashier by my house who I started a conversation with because they were always playing Connie in the store.... she just went on and on about how TOO MANY RULES and DREAMBOAT were 2 of her favorite songs and her friends liked them too..

Re: Label Colors / USA

There you go, Fran! you gotta get one of these machines..."Fran-cetta" Records.

Re: Label Colors / USA

I still have my old turntable, Garry!

Re: Label Colors / USA

garryabhb
Me too! but, I am very old school...I had 8 track in my car until 1989!...that one Gemini turntable has outlasted 4 CD player/recorders and 2 receivers and 2 pairs of speakers...some of those recently manufactured Crosley record players have beautiful classic design cabinets, and a record stacking feature like my Mom's old TV/ Radio/ Record Player console, but they made no attempt to make the actual turntable look vintage....and I have always hated those tall flat 45 RPM adapters! Nothing like a round tower 45 adapter. Thank you, Fran! I am waiting for my precious find Yellow label Connie's Greatest Hits to arrive.

Re: Label Colors / USA

I don't know what manufacturer turntable I have, but I have one.  I haven't used it in ages, though.

Re: Label Colors / USA

I don`t have mine anymore Garry and Fran,I want to buy another one just not sure what to get.

Re: Label Colors / USA

Awww, that's too bad, Pat.

Re: Label Colors / USA

My treasured find "CONNIES GREATEST HITS" LP printed in the USA on the Yellow label has arrived!
The jacket was almost split to the point that it was in 2 pieces, but there was no ring wear. There was no inner sleeve...The record appears to be in VG used condition....there are some marks on the vinyl not uncommon or particularly heavy for a reasonably cared for record of this vintage....AND!!! the wonderful sought after yellow labels are almost pristine!...there is a sticker on the back of the LP for a record shop in San Gabriel CA.....assuming that shop was the original seller of the LP, it is quite possible that the record plant that produced this LP in 1959 and shipped it to the West Coast also pressed the other Nov. 1959 issues on the yellow label also.  As I stated earlier, this is the only LP (pressed in the USA) released after the initial 3 that I have ever seen with a yellow label....I am very content with my find!

Re: Label Colors / USA

Well, congratulations, Garry!  Enjoy your new treasure.

Re: Label Colors / USA

Another label question....there is a video (I believe it may be titles Scrapbook) that was filmed in the 90's around Connie's home and Connie discusses her early career dressed in a cheerleaders outfit.
She plays the 45 Who's Sorry Now? on a phonograph, and the record has a black label. I realize the audio could have been overdubbed, and the record used just as a video prop....but, has anyone ever seen a copy with the black label? Were any of the yellow label singles repressed on the black label, or was the second/reissue pressing sent straight to the Golden Circle series of 45's?,,,(It is 4.37 AM NYC time and I am still awake....I just have to know these things!)

Re: Label Colors / USA

Good Morning Garry,I for one can`t answer your question RE: the label but am aware of the video you mention.I`m thinking that I will copy and  summit your question to Ron Roberts, he is the guru of Connie`s music and probably can answer this for you.So bear with me I will send this  to him.In the meantime maybe someone in here can answer it.
Get some sleep Garry lol

Re: Label Colors / USA

Hi Garry,this response is from Ron,

The video you describe is clearly part of the American Treasure QVC package. The BLACK/MULTI MGM label did not come into existence until late 1959. There are, however, copies of WSN on this label design that were issued AFTER 1959, but these are in other overseas territories. Germany is a classic example. The single was re-issued after she became a star in that country, by which time the BLACK/.MULTI label was in existence. The only alternative to that scenario would be, as you say, a disc spinning with a black label and WSN playing on the soundtrack. Trust me, I have seen many movies when I have cringed because the record playing is definitely NOT what the soundtrack is suggesting - i.e. a Decca record on the turntable, but a Columbia or MGM artist playing on the soundtrack!!

Thanks Pat
12