Foreign Language Recordings

cfwebmaster
The jury seems to be out on this one.  How many foreign languages has Connie Francis actually recorded in?
“In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.”  ~ Margaret Thatcher

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

jeansouth
Administrator
In my collection I have Connie singing in the following
languages;
English
Italian
Neopolitan
Spanish
German
French
Portuguese
Japanese
Dutch
Jewish
Swedish
That's at least eleven.  Connie mentioned having recorded
in 13 languages.  Can anyone come up with more?

Jean

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

Guenter Hein
Hi Jean,

two more languages Connie recorded in is Greek e.g. NEVER ON SUNDAY and MISIRLOU and in Latin e.g. AVE MARIA and ADESTE FIDELES.

I'm not sure about different idioms sung in Yddish and/or Hebrew on her JEWISH FAVORITES album released in October 1960 and the very first release of ELI ELI on CONNIE'S GREATEST JEWISH HITS released September 1982.

Hope this will help you.

Guenter

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

Guenter Hein
Please add HAWAIIAN to the list of languages Connie recorded in.
Guenter

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

Guenter, so good to see you here!  The ultimate authority on Connie's music!!!  Love, Fran

Thanks Gunter.  So great to hear from you!
Jean

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

jeansouth
Administrator
What is your favorite "Foreign Language" song?
Without a doubt mine is Connie's all Italian
version of "Al Di La'.  Perhaps because I've seen her
sing this in person so many times, but it is a
stand out for me.

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

Shrinksjp
In terms of the Jewish Favorites LP, Connie recorded in both Yiddish and Hebrew...so the count is greater. There is also Greek, Latin, and Hawaiian!

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

Shrinksjp
Connie's Where The Boys Are went to the top of the charts in just about every country in the world and she recorded it in several languages.  Miss Francis will be entering the studio once again to record it in eubonics and it will be called Where The Home Boys Be!     I recall reading this somewhere, perhaps on amazon.

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

Lynne Simons
Modern Italian Hits is my fav. It just came out on CD and I have it

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

Limbabwe
Hi !

At secondhandsongs.com, the cover song database, we are trying to solve a question and I do hope you Connie Francis fans can help us solve it!

Please see the topic here: http://www.secondhandsongs.com/topic/41120

What we are trying to establish is what language or languages Connie uses in the Mama version on the LP "Connie Francis Sings Italian Favorites" (1959, MGM). The available options are:

1) English only
2) Italian only
3) Napolitan only
4) a mix of two of the above...

I do hope can resolve this....

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Limbabwe (editor for www.secondhandsong.com)

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

I believe Connie sings both in Italian and English in the version of "Mama" on the LP "Italian Favorites".  As a matter of fact, she always sings it in both Italian and English, even when she sings it live.  I have never heard her sing it any other way, but that is just my personal experiences with hearing it.  I don't know if the Italian is Neopolitan or pure Italian.  I am not an authority on it.  Maybe someone with more detailed expertise can offer it?

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

Guenter Hein
Dear Fran,

I do agree with you referring to Connie's studio recordings and live performances of "MAMA".

Last time I checked my collection for different versions/takes of "MAMA" except for the ones already known (English & Italian) the result I achieved was negative and I also can't remember to have heard any other interpretation ever performed by Connie. Have you checked the program schedule yet for next month broadcasts on BNR? I'm looking forward to each and every Thursday afternoon in September.

Take care,
Guenter

Re: Foreign Language Recordings

Hi Guenter!!

So good to see you here again!  I'm glad you gave your input on the versions of "Mama" because I am not a good source for these technicalities.

I have not yet checked the schedule for Baltimore Net Radio, but I will soon!

Love to you and the family,

Fran

Re: FOREIGN LANGUAGE RECORDINGS

One of my Favorites is Quiereme Mucho....there was a youtube posting of Connie singing this live on
I believe Andy Williams TV show...just today I discovered a man named Tommy Blue singing STUPID CUPID in German on there....it was actually quite good!